Saturday, May 22, 2010

Props to Mom!!

Okay so I stole the "props to mom" title from Marianne. I wanted to share my "props to mom" moment. I was so proud of myself because I too, am sick and tired of paying a repairman WAY TOO MUCH for a 20-30 minute repair. So in my previous blog you may have noticed, we are having a few issues in the house.

I had the dryer man come and the refrigerator man come. They were both there on the same day. The dryer is a brand I am not familiar with and I know I make Scott a tad bit nervous when I start messing around with the appliances. So despite my great disdain, I paid the guy $150 to replace a STUPID fuse. (A side note, I know from my dear daddy and his business, that a fuse is a 10 cent part. So I basically paid that much in labor, which took him all of 20-30 minutes max.)

The refrigerator man approaches me to tell me that it was going to cost $350 to repair the ice maker. I said, "No thank you, I'll take care of it myself." (Another side note, I had already replaced the switch in the door MYSELF and of course it wasn't the problem.) So I diligently ordered the part, which only cost me $100. I went to work when the part came. It took me all of 20 minutes (with three children helping).

So needless to say, I immediately called Scott to gloat in my talents. I also quickly informed him, the way I saw it is I earned myself a $250 (labor only) shopping spree!!!!! Way to go MOM!!!!

6 comments:

Cindy and Ben said...

Nice job Carrie...I would have ordered the part then let Ben install it...you definitely earned that shopping spree!

Kimball and Marianne Larsen said...

Awesome.

Karryn and Roger said...

way to go...

TomAndCor said...

Genious, I tell ya!

Crystalyn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Crystalyn said...

ME TOO. I hate going to HomeDepot the home repair store and everyone looks at me like I am crazy because I am doing it myself. Even my own mother thinks I can't and shouldn't do it. That makes me so mad. I even can get 6 full sheets of sheet rock into my mini van. Yes the loading dock guys think I'm crazy too.
YOU ROCK BEAR!